Please fully ignore the email I sent below. As others have pointed out here and
on #couchdb, the email has gotten the following things wrong:
I am not meant to test the release artifacts with the release artifact prepared
for voting.
The release artifacts should be built from source using the tarball provided.
The purpose of voting is to perform 'make check' and run JS tests in the
browser (FF3 suggested in this case)
The version is correctly stated by `couchdb -V` built from the release artifacts

the minor detail I got right:
CouchDB 1.1.0 can read 1.0.2 databases
CouchDB built from the SVN 1.1.0 tag reports 1.2.0a-, opposed to 1.1.0

My only excuse is my excitement of the 1.1.0 release moving forward and rushing
to 'help' fellow CouchDB enthusiasts.

Let the voting continue (while I leave the stage).

Gabor