On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org> wrote:
> Making a single view indexing process faster keeps coming up. For one
> thing, it's not that easy, otherwise it would have been done by now.
> For another, this problem vanishes when you shard (and the BigCouch
> merge will bring this to CouchDB).

What does sharding mean in this context? Running CouchDB/BigCouch on
multiple servers, or just running multiple processes on a single box?
If the latter, why can't we run multiple threads/Erlang processes
within a single shard/OS process? If the former, that's kind of silly,
in the sense that building indexes (at least for me) is CPU-bound but
leaves many of the cores in my server idle.

Cheers,

Dirkjan