Hi all,

I would like to let the translators start their work.

As of today, we have eleven languages setup at
https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/ . There are around the same
amount of people, who want to translate. That's pretty awesome imho ;-).

I have clarified the process for adding translators to pootle as users with
INFRA. A big thanks again to jan I. for setting everything up and for his
help. I have now admin rights and am able (also Noah) to create users.

The next step would be to create user accounts for the translators form the
l10n-mailing-list. They will receive an email with instructions to confirm
the creation of their account. But before that, I want to make sure that
the created .pot files uploaded to pootle are correct and are usable. I
created the files from share/doc/src. That means, that the translations
would result in the translated versions of
http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/. Here are some questions and discussion
points:

/ we still have not integrated the creation of the .pot files to the build
process. Is this a blocker? (Note: at this time, I would need help to do
this)

/ there is no api for uploading (changed) .pot files to
https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/ . Is this a blocker?

/ there is also no api for downloading translated .po files for integration
into the src. But it is possible to download a zip file like this (from my
machine at least):

wget -O couchdb-de.zip https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/export/zip

where de is interchangeable with the available languages and the zip
archive is including all the .po files. Furthermore it is not clear to me,
if we want to have the .po files in the source at all. I personally would
integrate them in the way I proposed in another post. What is your opinion
here? I think Alex started to grab into this already.

/ the process for generating the translated docs is not done yet. Here, I
also need help from someone with more experience in the build process than
I have today.

/ should we start with the translations or does it make more sense to wait
until we have integrated the creation of the .pot files automatically?

So as a summary the setup for starting with the translations at
https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/ is done. But the technical parts
regarding the build process are not done yet. I appreciate your help in
this point very much.

Thanks a lot for your input and thoughts on this.

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk