One quick thought:

Clustered couchdb has been a while coming, and still has a while to go
before it's ready; I would suggest not saddling the release with
additional changes or requirements, especially if they're the type
that can be bikeshedded to death (stuff like API changes can take a
while to sort out).

I'd much rather see CouchDB 4.0 sometime next year than have to wait
until next year for 2.0.

Cheers,
Eli