I would not call it "support" of openfire.  But we do have openfire
configured to use ApacheDS for authentication.

Below is our configuration for openfire.

  <ldap>
    <encloseUserDN>false</encloseUserDN>
    <host>127.0.0.1</host>
    <port>389</port>
    <baseDN>ou=system</baseDN>
    <adminDN>uid=admin,ou=system</adminDN>
    <adminPassword>secret</adminPassword>
    <connectionPoolEnabled>true</connectionPoolEnabled>
    <sslEnabled>false</sslEnabled>
    <debugEnabled>true</debugEnabled>
    <autoFollowReferrals>false</autoFollowReferrals>
    <usernameField>sAMAccountName</usernameField>
    <searchFilter>(objectCategory=person)</searchFilter>
    <vcard-mapping><![CDATA[
<vCard xmlns="vcard-temp">
  <N>
    <GIVEN>{cn}</GIVEN>
  </N>
  <EMAIL>
    <INTERNET/>
    <USERID>{mail}</USERID>
  </EMAIL>
  <FN>{displayName}</FN>
  <ADR>
    <HOME/>
    <STREET>{homePostalAddress}</STREET>
    <PCODE>{homeZip}</PCODE>
    <CTRY>{co}</CTRY>
  </ADR>
  <ADR>
    <WORK/>
    <STREET>{streetAddress}</STREET>
    <LOCALITY>{l}</LOCALITY>
    <REGION>{st}</REGION>
    <PCODE>{postalCode}</PCODE>
    <CTRY>{co}</CTRY>
  </ADR>
  <TEL>
    <HOME/>
    <VOICE/>
    <NUMBER>{homePhone}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TEL>
    <HOME/>
    <CELL/>
    <NUMBER>{mobile}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TEL>
    <WORK/>
    <VOICE/>
    <NUMBER>{telephoneNumber}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TEL>
    <WORK/>
    <CELL/>
    <NUMBER>{mobile}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TEL>
    <WORK/>
    <FAX/>
    <NUMBER>{facsimileTelephoneNumber}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TEL>
    <WORK/>
    <PAGER/>
    <NUMBER>{pager}</NUMBER>
  </TEL>
  <TITLE>{title}</TITLE>
  <ORG>
    <ORGUNIT>{department}</ORGUNIT>
  </ORG>
</vCard>]]></vcard-mapping>
    <nameField>cn</nameField>
    <emailField>mail</emailField>
    <groupNameField>cn</groupNameField>
    <groupMemberField>member</groupMemberField>
    <groupDescriptionField>description</groupDescriptionField>
    <posixMode>false</posixMode>
    <groupSearchFilter>(objectCategory=group)</groupSearchFilter>
  </ldap>