tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:

Hi Tora,

What do you think of this mockup?

great. :-) Would be indeed a big step forward to avoid offering download links that don't have an existing file behind it - as Andrea already said.

A user chooses Product, Version, OS, Architecture, Type, JRE, Language and get links to download desired files.

Just to avoid any misunderstandigs. This mockup is to improve the green download button, right?

To be honest I would limit the choices for the average user . I'm sure too many choices are not good for the average user and would lead to too much confusion. I especially think of the question "Should I choose OOo-Dev or OpenOffice.org from the list? What is the difference?" ;-)

So, I think a choice of OS+Arch (combined) and language is enough.

It's not yet important but would like to mention it. Instead of the ISO codes for the languages I would write the English and native names.

I would build keep the stable builds separated from the Beta, RC, and Dev Builds and pre-defined choices on the respective webpages. Just to keep it as simple as possible for the user. Then you can skip the Product choice.

The Version choice is not necessary as normally there is only a single version existing per OS+Arch and language combination. Atr least this should be the goal. Older builds are accessible in the archive.

After the user has made his choise and the final choice would be to select a build wJRE or nonJRE I would prefer wJRE as IMHO this offers the most complete and integrated package.

E.g., on the other.html webpage you could then offer both builds.

Demonstration
http://tora-japan.com/tools/javascript/ooo-webpage-download-openoffice.org/mockup-01/mockup-01.html

Source code
https://bitbucket.org/tora/tools/src/tip/javascript/ooo-webpage-download-openoffice.org/mockup-01/

All that maintainers do is, in short, to create a text file containing file paths.

I'm sure it would be simple to produce an ASCII file list on the Mirrorbrain host. The JS could than process this list as it is always up-to-date.

Finally, I think a great mockup with big potenzial to become reality. :-)

Best regards

Marcus