Hi Uwe,

Uwe Fischer escribió:
Hi Ariel,

Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
Frank Peters escribió:
Hi Ariel,

as you may all know, OpenOffice.org's Help system is going to be extended to support extension's help:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensible_Help
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensible_Help_Project_Plan
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/help/ExtensibleHelp.odt

* as the doc. is from Feb 3, 2006, is it still true this sentence in chap. 4 "Authoring Help With OpenOffice.org" : "You need OpenOffice.org 1.1.x to use the help authoring environment. The authoring environment also is not yet compatible with OpenOffice.org 2.0"? Is it now compatible with OOo 2.3.*?

No. The reason for that being that we developed and used that
environment only internally at Sun and I had a hard time migrating
that to 2.x since profound changes in macro handling and file format
(ODF instead of SXW). So basically, for now we're stuck with this
version.

this is only needed when you want to do a lot of editing for existing help files. If you just need to edit or write a few paragraphs you can use any text editor. Preferrably an editor with some XML syntax highlighting and structural display.

Ok, so I also downloaded OOo_1.1.5_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz ... I guess it will look like from the stone age. I will give it a try - anyway I'm not afraid of writing XML ;-)

the OOo 1 software with filter and macros is intended to hide the "ugly" XML from the authors of help text. As much as possible. For an occasional writer of an extension help it would be too much of an effort to setup that environment. Copy an existing xhp file to get the structure, then change the contents and save with another name. Use CVS to submit. That's much faster.

thanks for the advice :-)

The extensible help feature is brand new. Would you be willing to
collaborate with us so we can see how the existing environment suits
your needs or where it needs adjustment? I would be happy to provide
you with any assistance that you need to get help files written
for your extension.

You count with the help I could give, just let me know how I can help.
For testing how it works, I thought about extending OOo Base on-line help; see:

http://dba.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=3084

the current implementation of the extensible help does not allow to replace or delete existing help pages. You can only add new pages.

I know that, and the plan is only to *add* "extra" help content, the example: from the point of view of OOo Help it can not be useful to add help pages for SQL, but the user needing it can install this extra help extension.

I was starting to read/studying how to do this, I thought this is not yet implemented (it's meant for 2.4, I think). Is it ready to use in a developer build?

It is CWS ab38 http://eis.services.openoffice.org/EIS2/cws.ShowCWS?Path=SRC680%2Fab38 , not yet integrated, but should be soon.

regards
Ariel.

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/

"Aus der Kriegsschule des Lebens
                - Was mich nicht umbringt,
        macht mich härter."
                Nietzsche Götzendämmerung, Sprüche und Pfeile, 8.