On 08/14/2010 05:36 PM, mcasan...@instituto-hispano.org wrote:
Thank you Drew. I am very interested in knowing what you think about the
aggregate functions section.

Please note that I have reviewed and corrected all SQL code that had
slanted quotation marks. In doing so I also found some typos (like missing
quotation marks) that have also been corrected.

The updated version has been published with date 2010/08/14. You might
want to switch your copy. There are no other changes in the text.

Cheers,

Mariano.

Hello Mariano, et al,

Grabbed the updated version and here is where I'm at:

Section 1 - rather a fast skimming (I will go back to this section now in earnest)
Section 2 - went through with a bit more detail
Section 3 - hunkered down and when through these chapters in earnest.

Couple of comments first:

Chapter Seven has this in the first paragraph:
"Now is time to turn on the computer. Go ahead!"
Oh, praise the Lord!

This approach of reinforcing to the reader the importance of 'thinking' before you start typing when developing their database really is quite important. (I best stop here, on this subject, lest a rant follow on the difference between a spreadsheet and a database)

Alright then, so much for inflating the ego...and now:

Actually there is only one 'and now', Chapter Nine and the section:
Querying more than one table at a time

This is the only section that I thought needed just a bit more depth. Reading along I was impressed with the job you did of keeping the level of detail focused to the reader's skill level. I've tried my hand at a few tutorials and finding the right balance, then maintaining it, is something that has proven, for me at least, difficult. Honestly I think I missed it much more often then hit it. For the most part I think you are pretty close to spot on.

With the exception of this section on Joins. The text shows only the use of an inner join making no mention of outer joins. I think this is a mistake. This is a fairly fundamental concept IMO and even if you don't go into great detail I think it merits a paragraph or two and a link to further reading.

Anyway - I'll stop here for the moment and plan on getting back to it again tomorrow and drop another email when I do.

Till then,

Drew