To sign automatically the releases you can put the gpg plugin in the
parent pom as in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/maven/pom.xml
(two occurrences)

and then in the profiles section of your settings.xml

    <profile>
      <id>release</id>
      <properties>
        <gpg.passphrase>mypassphrase</gpg.passphrase>
      </properties>
    </profile>

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.