Hi Kui Yuan,

thanks for working on this FLIP. Let me also give some comments about the proposed changes.

I support the direction of this FLIP about handling these watermark-specific properties through options and /*+OPTIONS(...) */ hints.

Regarding naming, I would like to keep the options in sync with existing options:

> 'watermark.emit.strategy'='ON_EVENT'

Let's use lower case (e.g. `on-event`) that matches with properties like sink.partitioner [1] or sink.delivery-guarantee [2].

> 'source.idle-timeout'='1min'

According to FLIP-122 [3], we want to prefix all scan-source related properties with `scan.*`. This clearly includes idle-timeout and actually also watermark strategies which don't apply for lookup sources.

Summarizing the comments above, we should use the following options:

'scan.watermark.emit.strategy'='on-event',
'scan.watermark.emit.on-event.gap'='10000',
'scan.idle-timeout'='1min',
'scan.watermark.alignment.group'='alignment-group-1',
'scan.watermark.alignment.max-drift'='1min',
'scan.watermark.alignment.update-interval'='1s'

I know that this makes the keys even longer, but given that those options are for power users this should be acceptable. It also clearly indicates which options are for sinks, scans, and lookups. This potentially also helps in allow lists.

A hint to the implementation: I would suggest that we add those options to `FactoryUtil`. All cross-connector options should end up there.

Please also consider the changes to the CompiledPlan in your FLIP. This change has implications on the JSON format as watermark strategy of ExecNode becomes more complex, see WatermarkPushDownSpec [4].

Regards,
Timo

[1] https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.11/dev/table/connectors/kafka.html#sink-partitioner [2] https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.16/docs/connectors/table/kafka/#sink-delivery-guarantee [3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-122%3A+New+Connector+Property+Keys+for+New+Factory [4] https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-table/flink-table-planner/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/table/planner/plan/abilities/source/WatermarkPushDownSpec.java