Hi Lijie,

thanks for your response, I agree with what you said about points 2 and 3. Let
me explain a bit more about point 1. This would not apply to all types of joins
and my suggestion is also *not* to build a hash table only for the purpose to
build the bloom filter.
I was thinking about the scenario of a hash join, where you would build the
hash table as part of the join algorithm anyways and then use the keyset of
that hash table to 1) have better insights on about NDV and 2) be able to
construct the bloom filter without duplicates and therefore faster. So the
preconditions where I would use this is if you are building a hash table as
part of the join and you know you are not building for a key column (because
there would be no duplicates to eliminate). Then your bloom filter construction
could benefit already from the deduplication work that was done for building
the hash table.

I also wanted to point out that besides bloom filter and IN filter you could
also think of other types of filter that can become interesting for certain
distributions and meta data. For example, if you have min/max information about
columns and partitions you could have a bit vector represent equilibrium-sized
ranges of the key space between min and max and have the bits represent what
part of the range is present and push that information down to the scan.

Best,
Stefan