Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Diwaker Gupta a ?crit :
>
> >This sounds exciting. Do we have access to any example/samplout output of
> >RefDoc?
> >
> >One of the interesting possibilities is to generate examples
> >automagically. For instance by correlating the Java source file for a
> >Cocoon Generator with its usage in a processing pipeline.
> >
> >w.r.t Forrest, it would be nice to have a way of generating more friendly
> >documentation of the DTDs. The current DTD documentation is good, but I
> >think it could get better.

Please see the DTDx plugin todo notes [1] and issue FOR-221 [2].

[1]
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.dtdx/todo.html
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-221
    "NekoDTD generated dtd documentation needs improvement, some bugs".

The NekoDTD parser author would be pleased to receive patches.

I agree that other representations of the DTDs could also help.

> Right now its a very "mechanical" kind of
> >documentation -- just listing the attributes and children and parents and
> >so on. A little more annotated DTD documentation would be great (what does
> >each element mean, what are recommended usages and so on).
>
> Excellent idea, I remember - when I was young - that I spent lot of time
> to understand how I could have the former link and fork behaviour
> whereas we only have <a> tag in document-v20.
> Maybe a little comment of the author used to be displayed in the
> generated documentation should have helped me...

However the documented examples would have helped.
[3] http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#changes

Anyway, it will be very good if the RefDoc work can help
with enhanced DTD documentation.

How far can we go there? I mean, if the contents of [3] were
all embedded in the actual DTDs, then the DTDs would become
rather bloated. Perhaps have some minor explanations, but
still use specific example documents for the full story.

David