Tim Williams wrote:
How do we re-define existing tasks as "Sub-Tasks" in JIRA?  I thought
that creating an "is part of" relationship would make it a subtask but
it apparently doesn't.  Do you have to create a new sub-tasks and
merge it or something?  The example I'm working with is FOR-200 (the
major task) and FOR-573 (the sub-task of FOR-200).

I don't think you can, although I have only just started playing with sub-tasks.

I did a quick search on http://www.atlassian.com/support/ and found nothing

I reckon the only way is to the "is part of" relationship or copy and paste the content to the parent issue. We should decide on an issue by issue which way round to do it.

I think your suggestion is importnat. I've put in a feature request at Atlassin, if it is somehow possible and I missed it in the support stuff I'm sure they will let me know via the RFE:

The issue is http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7794

Ross