Thanks for the wiki page, it was extremely helpful.  I've put together
a macro that expands animations into separate slides, which can then
be exported as a pdf and displayed with a pdf reader in presentation
mode.  I've attached a simple example presentation file with these
macros.  Just run ExpandAnimations.

Right now, this only works for appear/disappear transitions, which is
what I typically need, though I think the foundation is in place to
expand the functionality.  It occurs to me that the best way to do
this is probably to use the actual presentation engine to "play" the
animation forward and then freeze it at certain stopping points and
grab the current state as a new slide.  That way I wouldn't have to
reinvent the functionality of running animations inside a macro.  Any
thoughts on whether this would work?

Thanks for all the help!

-Matthew