Innocenti ,

I will follow with great interest your work, we uses for years OO as our "only" desktop publishing tool and we publisch over 8.000 fullcolor pages a year

To avoid the CMYK problems ( whats is pure temoparly because the professional printers are fastly moving to a RGB workflow where just before printing the RGB images are converted to CMYK. We use for the moment a "private" workflow: We stores our CMYK-eps images on a server and uses RGB lowres copys embeded in the OO-documents and just before we makes our CMYK-PDF's we change the embeded rgb-lowres images with a link to the serverbased CMYK EPS-images. The secret is in using EPS because on Windows (do not know about others), the internal Postscript pinter driver who is used to makes the PDF do not thouch the EPS(=spostscript) images and leaves them in CMYK. So we have at the end CMYK PDf 's who can be used by every professional printer.

If you can/will make OO better, please put your efforts in handling the different pixel resolutions needed to handle proper Desktop Publishing. At the moment OO uses the DPI (when pressent in the original picture our when not pressent uses 96 DPI.. The DPI must been diffined by the final printer output and not by the DPI stored in the images....
- For Porfessional printers  254-300 DPI
- for laser printing 150 DPI
- for screen and web 96 DPI

- A better cropping-tool (I can give you our private written in Basic) could also been handy
- Global changing off images....

Hope it helps

Fernand
Hello!

I am not (yet) a developper of OpenOffice, but going to seek a solution which will improve OpenOffice Writer's usability in desktop publishing.

AFAIK all raster images stored internally in OpenDocument are in RGB, but OpenOffice Writer can use external (linked) images in a document. Unfortunally, even if image files use the CMYK color model, such images may appear in RGB in PostScript output, at least in some cases.
I asked this question at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=349217
, but got no reply.

Please, suggest, what options could control raster image exporting (particularly color models conversion), or, if such options are not available now, what software components should be redesigned.