Hello Thorsten, hi GSL community,

On Oct 25, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Dear gsl hackers, project leads of OOo -
>
> it is with mixed emotions, that I hereby resign from my role as a gsl
> co-lead, in which I served since 2007. My hopes that Oracle would
> join TDF have sadly not come to pass.
>
> As I believe in change, I will focus my energies on LibreOffice,
> going forward.

I'm also with mixed emotions because of the circumstances of this divorce. The
story of the divided communities saddens me a lot and so I'd rather not gain
anything from the breakup.

On the other hand I'm not gaining from it because ego-boosting titles mean
almost nothing to me and I dislike politics especially in technical contexts. I
enjoy solving technical problems and working toward a positive user experience
with our product.

> At the same time, I would like to personally say thank you to all of
> the great people, that I was lucky enough to meet in my nine years
> with OOo - I learned a lot from you, and many of you tried hard to
> change the project from the inside.

Ditto.

> I propose Herbert Duerr as my successor - Herbert works on OOo even
> longer than I do, and continues to do miracles to the font and layout
> engines.

I appreciate your endorsement and the compliment. I see my scope as being much
broader though. My specialities are i18n, text, graphics, platform integration,
algorithms, performance, debugging and backward compatibility. I return the
compliment by admiring your marvelous work on the alpha outputdevice, the
integration of third party code such as xpdf, agg or vigra and doing some other
useful stuff ;-)

Herbert