> I had to modify the MPMs so they wouldn't try to set ap_scoreboard_fname
> any more. This #define is now fully owned by the scoreboard.c file.
> (Might we want to namespace-protect that #define? I don't know.)
>
> I'm posting this here for feedback because it is a big change and could
> use some testing on other platform/MPM combos, but I'd also like to
> wait until the current release process finishes.

This works well with perfork and worker under Linux.  I have a couple
of comments though:

1) There are some not infrequent cases I have run into where apache
   needs to be killed (for unrelated reasons) and the shared memory
   segment does not get cleaned up.  When this happens, you can't restart
   the server.  You get a "file exists" error and apache refuses to start
   up.  This is easy to fix with ipcrm but the error is confusing and
   does not make the solution obvious.

   It would be nice if apache would clean up the shared memory segement
   if it sees it, or have a more meaningfull error.

2) Unless I am missing something, there does not seem to be an easy way
   for an external application accessing the scoreboard to know how to
   navigate the data structure.  You have to know the server limit and
   thread limit or else you run into problems.  It would be nice to
   be able to derive those values from the scoreboard image instead of
   the httpd.conf file.

-adam