> This looks really arcane to me though - there are very few HTTP/0.9
> servers out there that I am aware of to start with, adding functionality
> to specifically not support them seems like software bloat to me.
>
> Is this a real problem in your installation?

This is really a problem of reliability.  Apache will take anything that
doesn't look like a valid status line and assume that it is HTTP/0.9.
There's no control.  Corrupted packets alone could cause this assumption
to be made when it is not appropriate.

This is not an issue of my system running accross the odd old fashioned
server.  It is an issue of it willfully mis-interpreting a broken system.
We should at least give ourselves a measure of control in this situation.

In our particular application here at Ticketmaster, we will be relying
on a correct assesment of the reponse from a downstream server.  Mistaking
a broken system for a VALID 0.9 response is not acceptable.

-adam