--On Tuesday, August 3, 2004 10:29 PM -0400 Bill Stoddard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

mod_cache, mod_mem_cache and mod_disk_cache are experimental modules in 2.0,
so I am going to bypass the votes and just start backporting fixes. Please
review as they go in. If something breaks, we'll fix it. Mmmm K?

I'll note that without the rewritten apr_file_gets() in APR 1.1 mod_disk_cache's performance will continue to suck. (And will likely still stink on Windows as that same patch needs to be applied to all other OSes too...) And, you need the ap_internal_redirect (?) patch to cache sub-reqs...

I really think people are going to have to go to 2.1/2.2 to get the best caching performance - it won't be possible to shove it all back into 2.0. That's why aiming for a GA in the next few months is a brilliant idea.

I finished some radical rewrites to mod_cache to have it use the provider API. It cuts down a lot of code and makes things much cleaner and simpler. But, it removes the caching hooks entirely. (Expect that patch in a few minutes.) Backporting that isn't a viable option though. It doesn't really help performance, but does help readability and extensibility of the caching code.

I've also got some patches to speed up mod_negotiation significantly as well. I had to leave last night before I could fully test it and prove that it helped. (A side effect of my test scenario is that it stresses mod_negotiation a lot.) I've also been able to identify bottlenecks in mod_setenvif and mod_auth_digest. So, I have to think about how best to resolve those, but I have some ideas that I need to sort out before posting more. -- justin