We continue to have 1.3 servers because the Enhydra Director module,
needed for Enydra Application Server version 3, has not been ported to
Apache 2.  The reason is that the Enhydra folks have long since
abandoned the protocol and now use AJP13, for which there is already
mod_jk2 and the AJP13 proxy in 2.1.

The obvious solution is to either upgrade Enhydra to a newer version or
move to another app server.  We decided to move to another app server,
but it's a lengthy process when you have 100's of applications written
for the old app server.

To combat the problem, I wrote a patch for Apache 2 to do session cookie
based load balancing in combination with rewrite rules (which I
submitted long ago to this group- but I think it becomes moot in Apache
2.2) and have written scripts which convert our enhydra director config
files over to a set of proxy rewrite rules- so we are attempting to use
the HTTP connector of the enhydra app server.  This has a set of its own
problems- like applications which depend on API's to return the remote
host IP or bugs in the HTTP connector implementation (ie, lack of URL
decoding...)

So enhydra director is the reason we've not been able to dump Apache
1.3; but we have plans to work around our issues and gradually continue
to move to Apache 2.

Byron