On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 09:20:41AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Paul Querna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > You aren't.  I agree auto* sucks, but there isn't a viable alternative
> > that works today.
>
> Well, I've tried to aquire helpers for such a project for years,
> in dozens of other projects. But the only ones who were at least
> thinking about it were the xouvert folks.
>
> > We are the httpd server project, not the autoconf
> > replacement project.
> With this mentality we will never get something better.
> Such software doesnt simply fall from the heaven.

Is part of the problem automake avoidance? AFAIR httpd just uses
autoconf and libtool. The other thing is that now that libtool
has a LT_PREREQ (VERSION) macro, one could set that and no longer
maintain the special httpd distributed version and support for
all sorts of old and crufty versions of libtool..

Cheers,

Patrick