At 04:40 PM 3/29/2005, Bill Stoddard wrote:

>>As the unix binary is 'httpd', it seems time to change the Win32
>>binary to 'httpd.exe'.  It just seems to be a bit archaic to
>>continue to use 'Apache.exe' when you look at www.apache.org and
>>consider what the foundation's become.
>>So can I have a quick vote before beta to rename our program to
>>'httpd.exe' on Windows, matching our Unix builds?
>
>+0.  Changing to httpd.exe is consistent, but that's about all it has going
>for it. Any other httpd.exe's out there that could get lost in task manager?

In the task manager, we set the 'Description' string to the server's
signature so there can't be any confusion, methinks.

The other reason I propose the change is that we have worked very
hard for the benefit of other projects that we are the 'Apache HTTP
Server' project (httpd for short) and have tried to quit using
'Apache' as if the HTTP project -is- the end-all, or purpose of
the foundation.

As to Nik's suggestion, I could see adding an Apache.bat (or more
appropriately, ApacheCtl.bat) file that makes it easier to type
common commands, following apachectl.sh.  This would let users
use the same apachectl startssl semantics, right now you have to
either use -D SSL with -k start or -k config to accomplish it.

The rename seems like a pre-beta change to me, while adding the
Apache[Ctl].bat file could be during the beta process.

Bill