But as far as I can tell, this code is all about SMTP forwarding (not
even relaying per-se). Confuses me anyway :)

I.e. smarthosting. Which might be a better name for the whole thing.

For anything involving filtering + forwarding on SMTP, might be worth including a note to admins to remember to use consistent filtering on all mail exchangers (MX) for the domain in question. Otherwise spammers often try to deliver to one of the lower priority MX with the hope of bypassing spam filtering.

I can't see how any of that is "our job" though, just thought I'd mention it.