On Wednesday 01 March 2006 11:09, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an httpd v2.2.0 installation that from time to time is being
> DoS'ed by a burst of hits to a perl based CGI program (mt-comment.cgi
> from Moveable Type). The CGIs take up tonnes of RAM, until openldap
> dies, causing lots of further problems.
>
> Is there a mechanism within v2.2.0 to put resource limits onto CGI
> programs (maximum running simultaneously, longest time in seconds to
> run, that sort of thing)?

Apart from limiting the CGI programs, another approach would be to
use mod_load_average to return 503 when the system as a whole is
under heavy load.  Refusing cleanly to run the heavy CGI scripts at all
has got to be better than killing them after they've munched your
resources.

I don't recollect the URL, but I'm pretty sure fajita has it.

--
Nick Kew