Henri Gomez wrote:

For the load-balancing algorythm, do you plan to propose a bunch of
pre build algos and let users select the right one for their use or
allow externals modules ? We could see that like mod_jk / mod_proxy
modules like apache modules  does for HTTP...

A pluggable balancing strategy sounds nice. What I'm not sure about, if the size of problem is big enough to justify the work.

All three existing strategies at the moment are based on the same basic principles. All strategies use the same unsigned 64Bit to describe the actual load value and there are three possible places where the values are adjusted: pre request, post request and during maintenance (called in regular intervals).

Busyness: increment pre request, decrement post request, no op during maintenance

Traffic and Requests: increment pre request, no op post request, decay during maintenance.

Traffic and Requests use different values to increment, Traffic uses the amount of bytes transmitted, Requests always increments by one.

So to be able to implement interesting balancing strategies, the plugins would need to be able to use request/response data, like performance, load, error status etc.