Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> It is the name of the product containing a whole bunch of source code
> and many binaries, one of which is sometimes called httpd.  The tarballs
> are called httpd.  The legal notices will be called httpd, and the links
> to the artifacts will be called httpd.  The only reason there is any
> confusion at all regarding the name is because the windows installer
> never used the right name.

Well, +++1 that windows 2.x binaries used the wrong name.  Be fixed by me
if I'm the one to roll a windows binary for the next release 2.2.4.

http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/ shows this has been an issue for some
very long time, and had nothing to do with Windows.  Just happened that
windows didn't s/apache/httpd/ in sync with the other platforms.

>From this perspective and for clarity, while we are on the subject, perhaps
apache-httpd-XXXXX would be the appropriate package names, and seems that
would be consistent with how most many ASF projects are distributing their
tarballs now?  Not now perhaps, but with 2.4 or 3.0 release.  Comments?

> Only recently did people start changing
> the text to remove httpd, and that was certainly not by consensus.
> Do you have a pointer, or are these just more off-list conversations?

Just out of curiousity, have you also followed docs@ which is where almost
all 'linguistic' twists around Apache HTTP tend to be discussed?

Will forward pointers to the list once I figure out a sane way to search
them, later tonight.  The thread has wound its way through httpd-dev,
httpd-docs, prc, members, should be fun to track it back down.

I certainly hope this is not an off-list discussion.

Bill