Hi,

I ported mod_define to Apache httpd 2.0 and 2.2.

The module has been originally created by Ralf S. Engelschall for Apache
httpd 1.3 and distributed as an addon to mod_ssl (although it's function
is unrelated to mod_ssl).

There are a couple of people who were looking for a 2.0/2.2 compatible
version on various discussion lists.

I ported it, keeping most of the functional code unchanged, only
changing how it sticks into the new configuration hooks.

I asked Ralf, and we would like to make it available under the ASL 2.0.
Is there a chance to include it into the httpd distribution? Any ideas
about a better home? If there is interest in it, I would place code and
docs on people.apache.org.

The module is a nice enhancemnt to make httpd configs more flexible
without using a much more complex apparatus. It allows to define and use
variables in the configs. Variables could either be defined in the
configs themselves, or induced from the outside as environmnt variables.
In contrast to the usual defines, the variables can be used in all
places in the configuration files.

One unofficial source for the original docs is:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/Current/apache_mod_ssl-680/mod_ssl/pkg.addon/mod_define.html

Regards,

Rainer