On 9/5/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Brian Akins wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>> 1. If we stick to
>>
>> AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version(void);
>>
>> and do
>>
>> #define ap_get_server_banner ap_get_server_version
>

> I hate macros.  Just do it like:
>
> AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_banner() {
>     return ap_get_server_version();
> }
>
> That way, it gets a symbol rather than disappearing after compile.

If we do that, we break backwards compatibility that otherwise existed
back to 2.0.44 for anyone who uses the new symbol.

I assume he intended

AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version() {
  return ap_get_server_banner();
}

I'd skip the idea of backporting; there's no way to do this and still
retain this backwards module compatibility across minor versions.

With the 3 lines above there wouldn't be any compatibility issues...

Let's just move on 2.4.0 at our first opportunity.

shrug (I'm too out of the loop to recall which interesting features
are in the pipeline and don't have a natural way to fit into 2.2.x)