You read correctly.  'tis sweet indeed.  I think it's the compilers that
come with vs 2005 express editions.  It includes compilers for x86, x64
and IA64 (all are x86 binaries and cross-compile for the target
platform, if I understood correctly - as I don't have any x64 OS
installed, I haven't played with it yet)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7614FE22-8A64-4DFB-AA0C-DB53035F40A0

"Tools and Build Environments: In addition to the headers and libraries
used to build Windows applications, the Windows SDK includes more than
100 GUI and command-line tools to aid in the development of native
(Win32) and managed (.NET) systems for the Windows platform. The tools
include command-line compilers (both x86 and x64), debuggers,
performance monitoring applications, security management utilities, and
more. "

  Issac