Hi,

I'd like to suggest another extension for mod_proxy*:
I always disliked to configure the router name at both the servlet container like Tomcat
as well as at the frontend server.
The names even have to be exactly the same, difficult... :-).

Particulary, I like to copy the Tomcat configuration file from one server to the other,
and tend to forget changing jvmRoute - the only difference.

So, I want to suggest to make this more user friendly.

I can think of 3 approaches:

1) Checking in mod_proxy* if the configured route extension on a "Set-Cookie" by
   the backend server matches the router name and log an error otherwise.
This would be helpful for users to understand why stickiness is not working.

2) Actively correct a wrong/missing ".router-name" value in Set-Cookie directives of
   backend connections.

3) Encourage the user to omit the "jvmRoute"-setting in the backend, add the routername on Set-Cookie in mod_proxy, and remove the router-name on incoming cookies before
   passing them to the backend.

My suggestion would be to add another attribute to ProxyPass, e.g.
  "cookies=(check|pass|correct|manage)
"pass" would be the current behaviour.
"check" should be the default (to help people when configuring their server)
"correct" corrects / adds wrong / missing cookie routes
"manage" like "correct", but does not pass the router name to the backend.

Is a patch like that welcome for trunk?

Cheers,

Georg