On 05.05.2007 04:25, Brian Hayward wrote:

> BTW, I did test my patch when 1 host was down in a balancer
> configuration.  It still seemed to work well.

I would think so. My point was more about that with this setting the
response times of your reverse proxy will increase as it may try all failed
workers first before it finds a working one which could be a time consuming
operation escpecially if you have many failed workers.

> At this time, we lose one or two connections out of thousands.
> According to the network sniffer for these connections, packets are
> getting lost during the setup of the connection.  (For example - our
> sniffer sees a SYN go out, get retransmitted a couple times, but the
> SYN_ACK never returns for that one connection).  It could have
> something todo with the HW load balancer, the NAT firewall between us
> and the destination, remote web servers, or something else.  We're
> still working on the analysis.

Ouch. These are nasty errors.I wish you good luck in tracking them down.

> As requested, here is the error:
>
> [Tue May 01 14:36:30 2007] [error] (145)Connection timed out: proxy:
> HTTPS: attempt to connect to 1.2.3.4:443 (hostname.com) failed

Just one hint: If you do not have special needs that require
you to encrypt the connection to your backend you should not do this
for the following reasons:

1. Assuming that you are also doing https on the frontend side of your
reverse proxy doing encryption to the backend means that you need to
encrypt / decrypt your data twice: Once to the client and once to the
backend.

2. Currently you cannot have keepalive connections with mod_proxy to
a backend. This means that you effectively have *no* connection pooling
in this case which is bad in general. Even worse: You need to do a full
and expensive SSL handshake for *every* request to your backend.

Regards

RĂ¼diger