As I understand mod_proxy_* and APR code, the BalancerManager timeout will set a timeout for individual read and write attempts to backend connections.

So it neither correlates to an idle timeout on the connection (see ttl and smax) neither to a request timeout in the sense of a limit to the full request handling time.

The timeout starts whenever something is expected to get read or written. So most of the times it should fire, when retrieving the initial response packets takes longer than this timeout, or your backend starts to hang in the middle of request processing.

Regards,

Rainer

Jess Holle wrote:
Currently one can specify timeout on one's BalancerMember (e.g. with mod_proxy_ajp).

Does this serve as both a connection and request timeout? If so, in the worst case I can use it to be both and thus set it for the latter (knowing it is ridiculous for the former).

I read the "Re: ProxyTimeout does not work as documented <http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=117986243317037&w=2>" thread and am trying to figure out how to set connection and request timeouts for mod_proxy_ajp today with 2.2.4 -- and hopefully do so in a manner that is compatible with the resolution of this thread...

--
Jess Holle