Akins, Brian wrote:

For the millionth time, if that is a problem then separate the proxy
module from the gateway ("reverse proxy") module.  They do not belong
together.

+1.  This would sway me more to go back to the "stock" modules.  The
"reverse proxy" could be much more aggressive with keep-alives, connection
pools, etc.

As I recall there is very little difference between the code for "forward proxy" and the code for "reverse proxy", the key differences being to send a Proxy-Auth instead of Auth where appropriate, and other minor things.

Separating the module into two will just mean two modules with virtually identical code: a breeding ground for all sorts of problems.

Regards,
Graham