On Jan 2, 2009, at 8:04 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com> wrote:
I am completely uninterested in "fixing" the config just because some
person reflexively does a reply-all and then doesn't edit their own
destination addresses. There is nothing to fix here. A bounce is what
they are supposed to receive to keep the discussion on dev.

It is not only one person who is running up against this.  Instead of
unilaterally stating that there is nothing to fix, I asked first to
get a consensus of folks on-list - I never asked Joe to activate any
changes (as I didn't think we had a consensus yet) - he did so on his
own volition.

I believe that asking folks to change their sending address, or live
with bounces, or remembering to remove addresses every time is busy
work for no real purpose.  It creates an additional barrier to
commenting and should be avoided.  We have software that should
conform to what we desire - we shouldn't need to work around broken
configs.

It isn't busy work to ask that people who always do a reply-all,
which in my opinion is annoying as hell for community lists, should
do the extra work of trimming the list of addresses to those that
they actually intend.  It will save them from some embarrassment,
eventually, if they get in the habit of sending mail only where
it is wanted.

The whole reason we have reply-to munging is because we don't want
to receive the same damn email to several lists and our personal
addresses.  We want responses to go to one and only one place.
It is intentional and has been our policy since the very first
flames on new-httpd.  That whole nonsense about "reply-to being evil"
was written by folks who don't need to delete a thousand messages a
day just to keep up with their work.

BTW, if you maintain that the list config is immutable, then my
suggestion would be to shut down cvs@ and route commits to d...@.  This
way we don't place unnecessary barriers to discussions around commits.
 If folks can't live with the commit traffic, they shouldn't be on
dev@ in the first place...  -- justin

That makes it impossible to find discussion related to specific
pieces of code by searching the archives of the discussion list.
No thanks.  As I said, if you don't like the bounces, then the
commits configuration can be set to black-hole misdirected messages
that have d...@httpd on the to/cc list.  That way, none of us have
to delete them twice.

....Roy