On 21.01.2009 13:01, Paras Fadte wrote:
I tried this and It creates "mydomain.com-access_log.gz" but doesn't
seem to update it.

That's the buffering of gzip I mentioned.

Run /path/to/httpd/bin/ab -n 50000 -c 10 -k http://myserver:myport/

and you'll see data arriving.

Regards,

Rainer

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Rainer Jung<rainer.j...@kippdata.de>  wrote:
On 21.01.2009 07:09, Paras Fadte wrote:
Hi ,

Does something like following work in Apache/2.0.55 ?

CustomLog "|/bin/gzip  -c
/home/mydir/apache/logs/mydomain.com-access_log.gz" combined
In errorlog it says :

piped log program '/bin/gzip  -c
/home/mydir/apache/logs/mydomain.com-access_log.gz' failed
unexpectedly
gzip:>>/home/mydir/apache/logs/mydomain.com-access_log.gz: No such
file or directory

What could be the issue here ?
It does work for me with Apache 2.2.x. Be sure to add whitespace before and
after ">>" (although that wasn't necessary for 2.2.x).

If it doesn't work for 2.0, you can use the following workaround, that
should do it: create gzip.sh (executable shell script) with the content:

#!/bin/sh
gzip -c>>  $1

and use "|/path/to/gzip.sh mylogfile" in the CustomLog.

Caution: it's possible to loose log lines when restarting or stopping the
web server, because gzip buffers data and it might be implementation
dependent, whether gzip flushes them when signaled to stop. My tests show,
that there will be some information lost.

I think this discussion belongs to the users list. When proceeding the
discussion there, also mention which OS you are using.

Regards,

Rainer