Geez, Eric. No wonder people don't want to contribute to httpd, when they
run into an attitude like yours. That dismissiveness makes me embarressed
for our community.

There is zero reason for us to avoid putting deflate into the default
configuration.

It is also very arguable that we should leave it off. I think others have
argued well to enable it by default, while you've simply dismissed them with
your holier-than-thou attitude and lack of any solid rationale.

-g

On May 31, 2010 8:06 PM, "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Bryan McQuade <bmcqu...@google.com> wrote:
> I propose providing an...
An additional httpd.conf doesn't sound valuable to me.  What slice of
non-savvy users would scrutinize an alternate config file, can replace
the config file of their webserver, isn't using a webserver packaged
by their OS, and wouldn't have just gotten the same information today
from the manual and 400,000 other websites?

There's currently no <ifModule> bloat in the default conf, but you're
welcome to submit a patch that adds one for deflate or expires (latter
seems more unwise to me). See the "supplemental configuration" section
of the generated config.

This doesn't address mass-vhost companies failing to allow deflate
because it's not in the no-args HTTPD ./configure , which sounds
far-fetched to me.  I can't recall a users@ or #httpd user implying
being subjected to such a thing with their own build or with cheap
hosting.

--

Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com