On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 13:51 +0100, Johan De Meersman wrote:

> Umm... I'm no crypto guru, but I've never heard of MD5 having variants, let
> alone a salt. MD5 is MD5 is MD5. APR, incidentally, is the Apache Runtime,
> afaik - part of the build kit for apache modules.
>
> I strongly suspect your problem is on another level.

Actually, he is correct. Though, the Apache variant of md5 is a chosen
improved security method, it really shouldn't be called MD5 since it is
not compatible with, well, base MD5 :)

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/password_encryptions.html

MD5

        "$apr1$" + the result of an Apache-specific algorithm using an
        iterated (1,000 times) MD5 digest of various combinations of a
        random 32-bit salt and the password. See the APR source file
        apr_md5.c for the details of the algorithm.

MD5

$ openssl passwd -apr1 myPassword
$apr1$qHDFfhPC$nITSVHgYbDAK1Y0acGRnY0

I agree Apache should probably not be calling it MD5. Perhaps it needs
renaming and MD5 as we all know it, be, MD5.

and for this reason I will xpost to devs list for some clear (maybe)
explanation as to why it was called this.

I don't think Edward's questioning is unreasonable, given the popularity
of LAMP combination, they are touted to work hand in hand, but as he
pointed out, they are not, even exampled by openssl wanting -apr1  not
-md5 to be compatible, so I can see how
this would be a problem with MySQL insert of md5(foo)  not be recognised
by an Apache md5 wanting.

Noel