On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Akins, Brian <brian.ak...@turner.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/11 6:26 PM, "HyperHacker" <hyperhac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> =
>> I'd been looking forward to mod_lua for a while now expecting it to
>> work similarly to PHP (handle requests, send output without having to
>> worry about how the httpd works). Is that not the case?
>
> Brian M. can correct me, but the original intent for mod_lua (nee
> mod_wombat) was when you needed to get at the internals of Apache, but
> didn't want to write a full on C module.  Like needed nested if's for a
> rewrite, a strange auth method, or whatever.  It was not really meant to be
> a competitor to php, ruby, python, etc. for application development.

My personal use cases for mod_lua are not content generation oriented,
but you should be able to do content generation with it. I suspect
that if you are doing "serious apps" then you will get more mileage
from ruby, python, or perl just because there are a *lot* more
libraries geared towards that already. All that said, when i started
doing ruby, there were far fewer quality ruby libs than there are lua
libs now :-)

I'd like to support bucket brigades, but I do *not* know what the API
should look like. Given good bucket support, filters then become
straightforward.

What I would want in the API:

1) It exposes the same abstractions as the C api, but in a Lua
idiommatic manner.

2) That it interacts properly with C.

-Brian

-Brian