Hi Kaspar,

On 31.07.2011 09:38, Kaspar Brand wrote:
> I'm considering cleaning up some of the cert revocation checking code in
> mod_ssl, in particular ssl_callback_SSLVerify_CRL(), which currently has
> the following comment:
>
>  * OpenSSL provides the general mechanism to deal with CRLs but does not
>  * use them automatically when verifying certificates, so we do it
>  * explicitly here. We will check the CRL for the currently checked
>  * certificate, if there is such a CRL in the store.
>
> This was true in 1999 when CRL support was originally added to mod_ssl
> by rse, but times have changed - CRL checking support was introduced
> with OpenSSL 0.9.7, released in December 2002
> (http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=4670).
>
> Question: does anybody object to mod_ssl in trunk having OpenSSL 0.9.7
> as a minimum requirement?
>
> Some more data points:
>
> - the last OpenSSL 0.9.6 release (0.9.6m) is from March 2004
>
> - OpenSSL 0.9.8 was released in July 2005
>
> - the last OpenSSL 0.9.7 release (0.9.7m) is from February 2007
>
> - OpenSSL 1.0.0 was released in March 2010
>
> I.e., no one should try to compile trunk against OpenSSL 0.9.6 these
> days, IMO (and even 0.9.7 isn't really a good idea, as the official
> releases are no longer maintained).
>
> Requiring at least 0.9.7 would essentially allow to get rid of
> ssl_callback_SSLVerify_CRL() completely, by switching to
> X509_STORE_CTX_set_flags/X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set_flags and setting
> X509_V_FLAG_CRL_CHECK|X509_V_FLAG_CRL_CHECK_ALL.
>
> On this occasion, it would probably make sense to drop support for the
> RSA BSAFE SSL-C toolkit, too (last update released in April 2007).
>
> Thoughts? Objections?

There was a similar discussion "RFC: drop support for OpenSSL < 1.0 in
trunk/2.3?" on this list in May/June 2010.

Joe summed it up as:

Thanks very much for all the responses.  There is strong consensus for
retaining support for some varieties of 0.9.8 and possibly some 0.9.7.

A new RFC, then, for trunk/2.3 and beyond:

- support and build warning-free with OpenSSL >= 0.9.8
- support and build with OpenSSL >= 0.9.7a, albeit with (harmless)
  compiler warnings about argument const-ness all over the shop
- drop support for OpenSSL < 0.9.7a
- drop support for non-OpenSSL/derivatives of OpenSSL

(I have tried this out and it seems perfectly feasible.)

Regards, Joe

and this was what gained consensus.

The details are at: http://marc.info/?t=127479165100003&r=1&w=2

Regards,