On 27 Nov 2011, at 17:14, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> Yes, that would be a good idea and I agree with Daniel that we should use a
> distinct prefix or format. We currently have around 2700 calls to
> *_log_?error in trunk, so a 4-digit number should be ok. Together with for
> example AH as prefix for "Apache HTTPD" this would result in numbers like
> AH0815 which don't seem to cause many hits on google.

I think most people still use file logging, but Apache httpd does also support
syslog. And over the life of Apache httpd syslog has gained features too, such
as message codes.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5424 section 6.2.7 says:
   The MSGID SHOULD identify the type of message.  For example, a
   firewall might use the MSGID "TCPIN" for incoming TCP traffic and the
   MSGID "TCPOUT" for outgoing TCP traffic.  Messages with the same
   MSGID should reflect events of the same semantics.  The MSGID itself
   is a string without further semantics.  It is intended for filtering
   messages on a relay or collector.

There is also a mechanism for structured metadata. I don't know whether either
or both of these will be written into future Apache httpd… but I thought it was
worth mentioning these early on in the discussion.

--
Tim Bannister – is...@jellybaby.net