On Jan 31, 2012, at 11:59 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>>> That doesn't mean early adopters don't seek out version control or
>>> snapshots of the current state of software.  I'm pretty sure you've
>>> lived on the bleeding edge of one system package or another.
>>
>> Yep... It's called either 'svn update' or 'git pull' :)
>
> Which... doesn't correspond to a tarball.  We have autobuilds working
> in several places now, how difficult might it be to tar up a snapshot
> during the post-buildconf phase of such a CI build?

You mentioned 'seek out version control or snapshots'... I simply
replied that we do provide what they seek.

Again, I don't like the idea of snapshots: they are too easy
to abuse and if the whole reason behind it is to "encourage"
easier testing, then I would say that recent history indicates
otherwise. We had several formally announced betas which were
otherwise ignored, so expecting un-announced snapshots which
carry no mark of stability *at all* to somehow change that seem
ludicrous. People don't test betas but they will test snapshots?
I just don't see it.