On 08 Jun 2012, at 7:22 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> For several years Graham those logs were rather valuable
> in tracking down segfaulting svn requests.  Security releases
> were made as a result of some of those reports to the
>
> Subversion project.

I'm sure they were, that's exactly what the forensic logs were designed for. I
think what went wrong was that they weren't turned off when they were no longer
needed, and they weren't properly secured.

I think it would be useful to have a generic log encryption hook or provider,
which any/all logging modules can call to encrypt  data that is about to be
written to a file and/or pipe. This way it can be safe to keep logging turned
on and available to those who need it, while being suitably protected at the
same time.

Something like this maybe:

# apply key in /path/to/key to files matching /var/log/httpd/secure/*
LogEncrypt /path/to/key /var/log/httpd/secure/*

Regards,
Graham