On Thursday 19 July 2012, Graham Leggett wrote:

> >> Dropping the connection gratuitously breaks HTTP, and so has no
> >> place in httpd (of course, a third-party module sets its own
> >> rules). Would it need a core patch to return an Internal Server
> >> Error (500)?
> >

> > Vanilla httpd does this all the timeā€¦ after a timed-out
> > keepalive. The client cannot make any assumptions about the
> > configured timeout, and can't tell whether the dropped
> > connection is due to a genuine timeout or a UID mismatch between
> > the previous and current request.
>
> I would hate to have to troubleshoot this - two completely
> independent behaviors, with the same symptom but completely
> different cause.
>
> Nick is right, a 500 is the right thing to do here.

No, mpm itk only closes the connection if a keep-alive request would
need to be processed with a different uid than the previous request on
the same connection. I.e., it cannot happen for the first request on a
connection (which would cause breakage).

But dropping the conn for a keep-alive request is allowed, and there
are other modules that do it in some cases (including mod_proxy and
mpm_event).