On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Another question is where exactly do we stand with OS/X right now?
>
> Apple HFS+ is still not supported, there exists a forced lower-case
> canonicalization hack authored by Apple, but AFAICT still no progress
> on retrieving the true name of a file on a case-insensitive OS/X
> volume which I suspect are still in common use on most OS/X boxen.
> Of course, all the BSD-based file systems are strict case sensitive
> and don't have security bypass issues when running 'vanilla' httpd.

Can't speak to this, it's not important to my use since I avoid the
case sensitivity issues on OS X.

I've had no problems building httpd on OS/X on 10.7 (I haven't
bothered to upgrade to 10.8).  I do a fair amount of work on OS X
directly and often build httpd-trunk and releases with debugging.
There may be computability issues like you pointed out above, but I
quite frankly have never noticed them.  Granted my use of httpd on OS
X is purely developmental and I likely wouldn't run into the types of
issues that someone using httpd for production servers on OS X would.

> Also wondering where the OS/X download lives?  It will build on any
> OS/X box with a deployed toolchain, but I imagine many OS/X users
> don't install that toolchain and live with the Apple provided
> flavors, and would guess that 2.4.x is not part of that Apple OS
> distributions so far.

I've never bothered to try to download a httpd binary build, it's easy
enough to build that I don't feel the need.

10.7 still had httpd 2.2, not sure what 2.4 has.