On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org> wrote:
> I was also thinking about learning how to release - but the lack of proper
> documentation for the whole process holds me back; I remember how Graham
> fell from one trap into another when he did his 1st APR release, and I dont
> want to get same ...
> so, if we want to have more folks doing more frequently releases the
> startpoint would be to 1st document how a release is done:
> - required auto* tools versions
> - step by step description how to prepare for a release

You guys may want to look at our release process over at the Subversion project:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-creating

We also have it somewhat automated.  Including getting the right auto*
tools versions.  Of particular interest might be our release.py tool:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/dist/release.py

For actually rolling that python script ends up driving this shell
script that I wrote long before the python script was developed:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/dist/dist.sh

All of this is obviously under ASLv2 so feel free to borrow and adapt. :)