The 1.5 apr-util (and apr) branches are actively maintained.  You have forward
binary compatibility since 1.0 used in the early 2.1-dev days.  Because 1.4.x
was not receiving attention (and was missing new API's used for httpd-2.4) the
project determined it would bundle 1.5 rather than the now-stale 1.4 apr
project releases.

So in terms of hitting a maintenance branch, 1.5 is now exactly that, and the
patch that broke C89 compilers was for maintenance, to clean up the errors
present on P64 and LP64 architectures.