On May 28, 2015 8:38 AM, "Yann Ylavic" <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:22 AM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> I think I would have preferred Jeff's form of the vote, which would
> >> have allowed us to know the potential "operating forces" on 2.2.x.
> >

> > We determined from that poll that there were >3 committers who
> > would fix bugs on 2.2, so that discussion was already done.
>
> That was an informal poll, whereas an official one would probably have
> allowed us to count ourselves and maybe see if we can still maintain
> 2.2 effectively.

The project's definition... no, the ASF definition of effective
participants -is- 3 :)

I've packed it in when code bases no longer had that number of
participants.  E.g. the 1.3/2.0 EOL was by unanimous consensus, retiring
mod_aspdotnet was by unanimous consensus.  The mod_arm4 code should likely
also be retired, I wouldn't anticipate an objection.

Where 1 or 2 individuals want an effort to persist at the ASF, and cannot
find a third hand, that is a sad outcome, but hasn't happened at httpd that
I recall.  It is unlikely to be the case here, either.

> Speeking for myself, if the cost of using (hence backporting to) 2.2.x
> exceeds significantly the one
> (technical/political/educational/whatever-al) of upgrading to 2.4.x,
> I'll choose the latter...
> ISTM that it's also a question of workforce, not that I doubt about
> committers wrt 2.2.x, I just wish I had a better idea with that poll
> (>3 is nice to know, but so is <?).

Agreed, and that's why I just responded to the poll.  Most backports won't
reach that threshold for most of us.  Complex patches may be proposed and
die for want of 3 sets of eyeballs.  That is ok, too.

> >> Sure people like having their release maintained, for free is even
> >> better,
> >
> > They like having their new releases for free even more-so.  What
> > inspired you to call out 'free' as in cash-in-lieu-of-beer?
>
> I meant free of time, work, or elbow/finger grease ;)

(:  thanks for clarifying.

> >> the investment is done either by the committers (for all
> >> living versions) or the users (upgrading).
> >
> > No, it's not an either-or proposition.  Committers, for those who
> > aren't in a position to upgrade (and only those who maintain an
> > interest, e.g. those >3 who responded to Jeff's survey).  And the
> > users who are stuck in an update trajectory, for the time being,
> > or who have the freedom to upgrade (preferably, their entire host
> > or container OS).
>
> Well, some (maybe most, but not all!) won't move unless/until they
> face a missing security/bug fix in 2.2.x.
> Why would they if they don't need a new feature, and why will they in
> 1/2/3.. years?

Why indeed.  Hopefully we offer compelling reasons.  I'm much more
concerned to help people avoid provisioning an old crufty version such as
2.2.30 versus adopting 2.4.13 from the get-go.  Whatever we can do to help
with that aught to be welcomed by the user community.

Thanks for your thoughts.