On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:54 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else inclined to just remove the message? It's a deprecation that
>> didn't happen on a release boundary. AFAICT there's no reason to change how
>> you run your server unless you use two different cert chains and then you'd
>> find the info in the manual.
>>

> +1, this is highly irregular.  Our general statement is that config
> changes are not strictly necessary on subversion updates of httpd.
>  (Securing your SSLCipherList notwithstanding.)
>
> Bill

+1, but IMO the whole idea should be revisited.

Storing intermediate certificates separately is a problem when you have
multiple certificates with different algorithms.  (Which server cert(s)
do/does the intermediate cert file go with?)

For cases where there's no ambiguity, we have a trade-off between

1) being able to get rid of the directive since the intermediate certs
don't necessarily need to be stored separately
2) a future migration headache, if not nightmare, for sites with many
vhosts where different users manage the certs

We need to favor #2.

For cases where there is an ambiguity, we should deprecate being able to
configure that, and visibly warn that there's a likely problem ASAP.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/