Yes, that's right - the toolkit does itself decide which protocol is used.
However, it decides based on the order of the protocols we pass to it; that
is, it will find the first protocol in the list supported by the client and
negotiate it. We will order the list ourselves according to Protocols and
ProtocolsHonorOrder.

The general structure of this toolkit's API is quite different OpenSSL's -
it's not callback-based, all we do is pass it a bunch of parameters and
then tell it to go ahead with the handshake. I think that may have
influenced this API more than NPN.