On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Module sub-modules NEVER get the love and attention they need
> and warrant

It would be interesting to see this applied to fcgid on a fast-track.
I don't know that ftp warrants it this moment. I don't know why arm4
is still one of our repositories with never-a-release.

I made the direct-to-trunk-backport-2.4 proposal based on the efforts
of Stefan who has continued to maintain a buildable external third
party module of mod_h2, while keeping it in-sync with httpd 2.4.

Maybe it is the better model. Older httpd flavors don't get the patch
attention and backport considerations they need. Independently,
Stefan can maintain a viable third party plug-in module for older flavors
of httpd, but it can move forward with httpd core. No waiting on any
backport votes, it simply happens when Stefan has cycles to do it.

Contrawise, mod_h2 plugable add-on could have become a modules
sub-project and available from the ASF. Either way, there is some level
of synchronization required. Since Stefan is doing that all, it's truly
his choice of what is simplest.

Likewise, I'm happy to ensure mod_bmx on github continues to be
a viable plug-in to httpd-2.2 or 2.4, and carry back the AL commits
to the trunk/2.4 branch efforts at httpd.

Having maintained a few sub-modules with mixed success, I'd be
happy to see us retire the model, it simply doesn't work any better
than landing on the perpetual 2.4.x release side-track. It seems like
the entire effort has slipped the rail, but more on that in a few weeks
when 2.4.24 is put to bed. In the meantime, there seems to already
be consensus to shift mod_fcgid as well to trunk/.